This film took me 2o hours in total to shoot. I set up the scene in my student kitchen and hired out 2 lights, a tripod a Canon 5D camera with a 50mm lens and a laptop with the Dragon Frame program from college.
After i had done some small movement experiments and a mock up of the set i would be using i took the experimental footage to Matt in AV to get some advice. I decided that i quite liked the home made aesthetic of the shots, the kitchen table and the people jittering around in the back ground gave a quirky look to the footage and emphasised the every day activity that goes on in a kitchen. This is why i decided to shoot the final film in a similar way.
I used a 50mm lens so that there was a shallow depth of field in the shot, putting more focus on the foreground which was continually animated and the back ground of the kitchen and people was blurred but still showed some movement.
It was a challenging film to shoot as the props i was using (food and kitchen appliances) were ridged and not very easy to manipuilate (unlike clay or paper). I wanted the construction of the food city to resemble a building sight, which is why i used string to lift the vegetable buildings and the tin can sky scrapers, this was supposed to act as a crane. How ever this was the hardest thing to keep continuous movement with, as the tins would spin in the air when hanging from the string creating more jolty movement. Although this was not ideal it was relatively unavoidable.
Looking back i would have asked matt for a recap on using Dragon Frame as when it came to editing the footage i realised that i had not been exporting the footage or saving it correctly. When the battery ran out on the camera i had to restart the program to connect the camera, but instead of opening the previous project i was opening a new one and not exporting the previous take. This created a massive hassle when it came to editing as i had to find each take, open it in dragon frame and export and save it correctly in order to be able to use the footage in premier pro.
I have also made the same mistake i always make when editing my footage and not taken any screen shots to record the process. This is some thing i will make note of to make sure i record the editing process in my next project.
Unfortunately i did not have time to record my own sound for the animation but this is some thing i intend to do in my next project. I used sound effects downloaded online. This is the first time i had used sound effects as opposed to a musical accompaniment. I enjoyed the process of getting the audio and video completely in time with each other, i feel i achieved this well. The issue with down loading sound is that i was restricted to what sound i could find. For example the sound for the rolling tins was very difficult to pin point, if i had more time i would have recored my own sound as there would have been more room for creativity and experimentation. The sound of the film is supposed to represent the sounds of a building site, i think with out the sound it would be difficult to tell that the scene represents a city being built.
This film was also the first time i had experimented with a green screen technique. I used green paper and filmed the title sequence as a stop motion so that the writing looked like it was being written on the screen, i thought this would contribute to the playful home made style of the film.
After a tutorial with David we discussed that the message of the film was unclear. This is why at the end of the film there is a short paragraph explaining that the food used for the film was food donated from a local vegetable shop as the food was too old to sell but still edible. This was the whole point of the film as i used food that would have been wasted, not only for the film but to also make a nice soup with, this is to emphasis that food waste is not uncommon and can be easily avoided.